The best shortcut for winning shots at the tennis court is taking the serves with a credible tennis racquet featuring an appropriate grip. The majority of the leading tennis players feature a tennis racquet with an appropriate grip and pay close attention to it as it alone is responsible for transferring the arm power to the ball, and helps in winning over the opponent.
Though the grip size and the grip thickness of the tennis racquet is a matter of personal preference, it has to be understood that choosing the wrong grip size can result in painful repercussions that one cannot avoid. Let us discuss the importance of choosing a tennis racquet with the right grip size and the way to choose the ideal grip size here.
Table of Contents
Importance of Choosing a Tennis Racquet with Adequate Grip Size
Apart from rendering comfort while playing the tennis game, choosing the appropriate grip size is important to prevent injury. A grip that is too small tends to twist or rotate within the hand while striking the ball. This can also result in unnecessary strain on the arm and painful blisters. The players tend to overcompensate the strain by holding the grip too firm. This can result in serious injuries such as tennis elbow. A smaller grip can be detrimental, as the player can slip the racquet from their hand.
Also, a larger grip can put unnecessary stress on the hand and can be quite challenging to hold. A racquet with a larger grip provides unnecessary strain on the wrist, arm, and hand. A larger grip is a little tough to manage as well and the player has to snap their wrist to serve the hit, as a larger grip can at times restrict movement.
Thus tennis players must find a grip size that stays comfortable and prevents undue stress on the body, helping with an appropriate range of motion to play the tennis game.
Check out: Top 5 Best Tennis Racquets for Beginners
How to Measure the Grip Sizes of Tennis Racquets?
The size of a tennis racquet refers to its distance and circumference around the handle. The grip size also includes the stock grip that comes with the racquet and ranges from 4 to 4 ¾ inches. Seven types of grip sizes are available, it starts from 4 inches (also referred to as size zero) and it increases by 1/8 inch for each size. The size of the tennis racquet is given at the butt cap of the tennis racquet or the bottom of the handle. Otherwise, the grip size is given at the throat of the racquet’s frame. The size of the tennis racquet grip in inches is given below,
- Size 0 – 4 inches
- Size 1 – 4 1/8 inches
- Size 2 – 4 ¼ inches
- Size 3 – 4 3/8 inches
- Size 4 – 4 ½ inches
- Size 5 – 4 5/8 inches
- Size 6 – 4 ¾ inches
Selecting the Appropriate Tennis Racquet Grip Size
Selecting the racquet of appropriate grip size is mandatory to add more essence to the tennis game. There are two ways to identify the ideal racquet grip size for the player.
The first method is to choose the grip by measuring the hand with the help of a ruler.
- Choose your dominant hand to fix the right grip size of the tennis racquet.
- There will be a bunch of lines and creases that run along the palm.
- In those creases choose the two large lines in the middle of the palm, that run horizontally from one side to another.
- Place the ruler vertically on the ring finger.
- Make sure that the bottom of the ruler, is in line with the top horizontal crease on the palm of your dominant hand.
- Measure the top of the ring finger.
- Generally, this measurement falls somewhere between 4 inches and 4 ¾ inches.
- According to the measurement pick up the grip size as we have indicated above.
This method of measuring the grip size seems pretty much useful while measuring the racquet online and there is no access to test multiple grip sizes physically. If you find that you measure in between the grip sizes, then it is appropriate to go with the smaller size, as it is pretty easy to increase the grip size, rather than to reduce it.
The next method to measure the grip size is when you happen to test the grip in person in a shop.
- Take the racquet handle in your dominant hand.
- Place the index finger of your other hand between the gaps of the palm and the other fingers of the hand in which you hold the handle.
- Space should be roughly equal to the width of the index finger.
- As this should be your ideal grip size, it is also better to try one size above or below to compare and see what feels the best.
- Always make sure that the grip of the racquet should feel secure and comfortable.
- If you happen to fall between size, choose a racquet with a smaller size.
It is always possible to increase the grip size with the help of an overgrip. This helps to increase the grip by 1/16th of an inch. Alternatively, it is possible to add a heat shrink sleeve (from local tennis shops) on the grip to enhance its size by 1/8th of an inch.
Read: Best Tennis Overgrips
Choosing Racquet Grip Sizes for Children
There are fewer grip size options for children tennis racquets. The grip size generally falls at 4 inches or less. But with kid’s tennis racquets parents have to focus on the length of the racquet with the help of the kid’s height rather than the grip size. For if you can find the racquet of ideal length, then the grip size who set in by itself.
Though there are definite ways to test the grip of the tennis racquet, the best way to identify one’s appropriate grip size is by playing the game. It is good to try a few racquets, before investing in one as comfort is the key to winning the tennis game.